Tuesday, September 9, 2008

PASSING ON THE WORD

Just read this on stereogum, oasis bashes Radiohead:

"They're [Radiohead] middle-class boys worrying about pushing an envelope somewhere, and all that carbon footprint and all that bollocks. Every time there's a polar bear on his tiptoes on an ice cube in the middle of the Antarctic, you know whose fault that is? Rock stars'. That's their fault. Any time there's food running out somewhere-- 'Let's do a gig. That'll sort it out. Let's do a big fucking gig. Let's fly everybody in from all over the world and pontificate to poor people about how they should be saving the planet.' Go fucking kiss my ass. It's very easy to just say, 'We're going to become difficult now and challenge our audience.' I like my audience. They paid for my swimming pool. I'm not fucking challenging anybody."

We'll it looks like Oasis doesn't know the difference between whining in their music and whining in real life. Hey Oasis, try creating something that doesn't sound better when you're not performing it.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yeah, I agree... Oasis is a bunch of pussies.

Anyhow, I don't know how much of these comments I agree with. While I tend to get annoyed with those supermega music festivals championing causes like "world hunger!" and "AIDS!" I just look at it as rock stars doing what they do best: rocking. There is something remarkably powerful about making music in a really big setting that can pull people together behind a cause, but, yeah, if Thom Yorke really cared about global warming and such, he'd be a public servant, not a rockstar. I hate overly politicized rock bands (except for The Consumer Goods), and I'm glad Radiohead hasn't quite crossed that threshold yet.

So fuck Oasis.

Justin Ferraro said...

Oasis really needs to clam up and realize that they're has-beens and having nothing important to say. They fancy themselves the every-man to the supposed elitist Radiohead but in truth Liam Gallagher is just a bitter hack with an inferiority complex. When I went to a Radiohead concert Thom Yorke didn't preach to us about the environment nor did he send us poor masses on a crusade. At least Radiohead are trying to make their tours more environmentally friendly